Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Birthday Dress In A Day McCall 8128

Pebbles had a birthday on Monday. I was kicking myself for forgetting again when I realized this is only her third one and only the second time I've had to remember to do something for it. Initially, I was going to make this adorable tiered skirt that she would be able to throw over tights in the winter and transition easily into summer. When I opened up the fabric there was just a bit over a yard and since I'm stash busting I switched plans when I remembered this darling vintage McCall 8128 I've been looking for an excuse to make up.

I love the contrast yoke! And all those tiny pattern pieces are so cute!

Just a heads up the pattern envelope said it was a Size 2 for a 21 inch chest. I measured the flat pattern and it only measured 21 inches so it gave just enough ease for her 19 inch chest. I don't know if that was just this pattern or something from this time period. I'm just glad I measured!

Since I had to deliver this that night I knew I wouldn't have time for several of these little details plus I didn't have enough fabric so the first thing I did was eliminate several details.
No Collar
No Bow Ties
No Piping
Used bias tape instead of facings on the neckline.
I also pieced the skirt a bit differently so I could get all the pieces to fit.

Instead of trying to join two pointy seams, when I basted the lace to the fabric I did it right along the seam allowance and attached the yoke with a lapped seam I carefully topstitched down. Much faster, neater and with much nicer results.
Right and wrong sides half pressed.
Next thing I did was get rid of the button back and insert a simple zipper. In about four hours I went from fabric to a dress; just in time for us to walk out the door to her party. I was kind of amazed at how quickly this "detailed" piece came together.


She was thrilled to have her own dress and I was thrilled it fit her. My Dad even said it's one of the best pieces I've made.
Fits so well and she loves it despite the weird faces...
Without intending to I managed to make this fit January's Stashbusting theme. One down, many more to go!

12 comments:

Sharon said...

Gorgeous dress and you can see her joy in the first photo!

Sew little time said...

Wow that's lovely! Great (and speedy) work!

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks Dottie!

Heather Bee said...

OMG so cute! Good work on that finishing a speedy project but making it look great.

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks! I was amazed at how quickly it went together.

Borsmenta said...

So cute and I agree it´s much faster to sew for kids. Everything is smaller and easier to pull together. I envy you a bit I have to admit - not having a daughter I´m limited to pants, shirts and t-shirts for kids clothing.

Leonie Dukes said...

that is a really beautiful dress - The lace works really well with the print on the yellow fabric. I think any little girl would be thrilled to receive something so lovely.

EmSewCrazy said...

I know, I'm so lucky I have little girls to sew for! I do really enjoy it. I forgot that all the pieces are smaller so of course it's going to take less time. :) You don't have fitting issues either!

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks. I was tickled the lace overlay worked out! I love lace!

Andrea Firth said...

Love it! And the lace on the upper bodice and sleeves looks so gorgeous for a little girl!

EmSewCrazy said...

I know! Thanks so much! It's one of those things I have to step back and go, "Did I make that?" :)

melissa said...

That's a beautiful dress!