Wednesday, April 9, 2014

How To Master The Cabarita Collar

\

This is how I feel guys! Winter will end! I had a mini knit marathon and grabbed this iffy stripe from the stash. I LOVE how it worked up and is my new favorite summer top! The stripes even match one of my wardrobe staples! 
The worst thing about this top is deciding which way to wear it! 
 So I don't know about you but I struggled a bit with my Cabarita's collar and sewed it incorrectly on my first top. This time I got it right and it turned out SO PERFECT! I'd thought I'd share it with you.

1. Lay your shirt front right side up and lay collar right side up on top, matching those squares. Or to say it in a more confusing way lay wrong side of collar on right side of shirt front. :) I serged along the entire shirt neckline edge attaching collar to shirt front.
Here you can see the serging and the under stitching. 
 I used a zig zag stitch to under stitch the serged seam to the shirt. You can see the close ups below.
Top Left: Wrong side. Top Right: Right side
Bottom: Perfect roll collar
 Turns out it really was simple! Hope if you were confused it helped you out too! Cabaritas go forth and conquer Spring!
This is also my Vibrant April Stashbusting project! Whoo hoo for using up a piece out of the stash! A not liked piece to boot! To end this post full of sunshine and happiness, here's my cat who was just chilling out in the tree patch! Isn't he so pretty!

10 comments:

Sharon said...

Great striped top and wouldn't it also go with your skirt/shorts? Love your cat's colouring!

Fadanista said...

You had me won over on the chevrons, the collar is a bonus!

Heather Bee said...

Cat's like, "Are you taking pics of yourself? How amusing." Good job on figuring out how to sew that bad boy and doing stash busting stuff.

moonthirty said...

Looove your new Cab! That is *such* a nice stripe, and I hope it helps bring you spring... ;)

Jagoda Spronk said...

When I saw the top picture I was roaring with laughter, could you possibly find a better pair of boots of squash the remnants of winter? They go fabulously with the rest of your outfit, dear! But seriously, the top is fantastic, can you really wear it both ways???

EmSewCrazy said...

Yes, this will go with much of my existing wardrobe, I just wasn't expecting it to when I pulled it off the shelf. Kitty is so pretty!

EmSewCrazy said...

I know! It's SO COOL!

EmSewCrazy said...

Aww.. you know I try... That's probably what cat was thinking too...

EmSewCrazy said...

Thanks! I'm looking forward to warmer weather!

EmSewCrazy said...

YES! I'm so glad someone noticed the boots! They are probably the only accurate part of my outfit depicting how spring really is here! My roommates at college deplored my shoe choices! :)
Yes, you can wear this top both ways because of the way it is designed. The bias cut chevrons have enough give for the girls and the "front" is cut along the fabric's greatest stretch. I have one I made last summer and wore all the time with no problems.